Cornish Local and Organic Food
There has been a quiet food revolution going on in Cornwall in the last few decades resulting in so much more choice than the omnipresent and traditional, but still delicious, hand crimped Cornish pasty.
The temperate climate, fertile soils and miles of coastline have been a windfall for food producers meaning this very rural county now produces some of the country’s finest local and organic produce.
The culinary reawakening of Cornwall has come about through inspired festivals such as the Cornwall Food and Drink Festival in Truro, any one of the numerous farmers markets that dot the county and delis on every high street. Artisan bakers are producing mouth watering breads, with enchanting aromas arising from their ovens. But it is the dedicated fishing fleets and farmers of Cornwall, who are the backbone of the industry.
It is not surprising that given the miles of coastline, seafood has a prominent profile within the local food scene.
Cornish Sardines are always popular both on restaurant menus and cooked at home. Under the protected name they are granted, they must be caught less than 6 miles from the coast of this county. Scallops, plaice, sole, turbot and gurnard are commonly found in Cornish waters. The plethora of local fishmongers is a blessing for all seafood fans and they can also offer advice on the best way to prepare your fish and hints on making them the star attraction on your menu.
When it comes to meats and dairy, organic is the crème de la crème and meats such as organic Ruby meat is top of the bill. Free range venison is also popular. The warm weather makes Cornwall the ideal place to rear outdoor pigs producing some spectacular sausages and cuts of home cured bacon. When these are coupled with the local, free range eggs that can be found in many farms, you have a stunning breakfast to get your day started. And who can resist the taste of the tangy Cornish Blue Cheese or the creamy palate of the traditional nettle wrapped Cornish Yarg?
In addition, this is a holiday hotspot so it’s not surprising that it produces some of the best ice cream in the country. And let’s not forget the quirkier side of Cornish produce including sea salt harvested from the pure waters near The Lizard Peninsula. Surprisingly, tea is also grown on one estate in the west of the county, along with a great variety of quality honey producers, some specializing in the legendary Manuka honey.
Inspired to try the finest local and organic food and produce Cornwall has to offer? Make the most of the kitchen equipment and accessories supplied through cs-catering-equipment to ensure your preparation is a breeze. Now, who’s for a traditional clotted cream tea? Just one question; is it jam or cream first?
- Gwavas Farm – Yogurts, cream, butter and milk
- The Cornish bacon Company – Cornish dry cured back bacon
- The Atlantic Smokehouse in Penryn – kiln naturally roasted and smoked salmon
- Pengoon Farm – Free range eggs
- Origin Coffee – Organic and rain forest range of coffee
- Tregothnan Estate – Organic Cornish grown breakfast tea
- Hanson Fine Food – Hanson Fine Foods specialises in maturing and selling Cornish cheeses
Penzance and Cornwall related websites
- Marine Discovery Penzance – An exhilarating wildlife watching boat trip from Penzance Harbour in West Cornwall aboard the exciting sailing catamaran Shearwater II
- Mounts Bay harriers running club – If you fancy a nice social run with a friendly running club when on holiday in Penzance, come and join us every Mondays and Thursdays.
- Rachel Lambert Wild Food Walk – Come and discover the abundance of wild food with Rachel through enjoyable walks in Penwith and the all of Cornwall.
- Cornwall Contemporary Gallery – Cornwall Contemporary is situated at the top of historic Chapel Street in Penzance and is within five minutes walking distance of both Penlee House and Exchange Galleries. email@example.com 01736 874749
- Benjamin Volant Photographs of Cornwall – Landscapes and seascapes of West Cornwall. Cornish Lifestyle and other Stock Photography relevant to Cornwall.
- Cornwall Guide – Photos, history, information and much more
- Cornwall Stay – Accommodation guide for Cornwall